It’s not really a secret that the only meat I eat is from the sea, but I am able to admit that I am always jealous of the beef chili Joe makes every week. It makes the entire apartment smell wonderful and looks delicious. Unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to eat it.
Thankfully, I don’t have to because Joe is a wonderful husband and made me a vegetarian version of his chili! I can honestly say that this is the best bean chili I have ever eaten. To make it even better, I’ve been serving it over brown rice – which is great touch!
I highly recommend giving this recipe a go, especially if you’re not sure what to do for a meatless Monday… or you’re looking for a way to warm up during this cold spell!
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cumin to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Chili powder to taste
1) Add a little bit of olive oil in a pot. Once it’s heated, throw in the diced onions, garlic, and pepper. Cook until it’s fragrant and softened a bit.
2) Add the cans of crushed tomato, followed by the beans, and the spices (I would recommend adding less first, because you can add more later). Stir everything together.
3) Allow the chili to come to a boil for five minutes, then lower the heat and simmer for at least an hour. If you would like to add more spices, do so now.
PS – You can see more of our recipes here.