Back in middle and high school, I was an extremely active lady. I had riding lessons (equestrian) on the weekends and during the Winter and Spring, I was on the track and field team… throwing discus. Joe was shocked to learn that I had repelled down a cliff in France.
Then, I went to college and stopped working out (it was far more enjoyable to hang out on the Green with friends). It seems as though once you stop working out, it’s really hard to start back up again. It wasn’t until my senior year of college that my friend, Katie, and I were going to yoga and pilates classes. Aside from that, the only exercise I got was power walking to my classes and walking up three flights of stairs to get to my apartment.
Now-a-days, my exercise consists of running for the ferry. That doesn’t sound like much but throw in four flights of stairs and it’s not easy. This sprint usually leaves me out of breath, so I’m hoping to change that.
I feel like I don’t even know myself.
1) I know this is going to sound silly, but I’m being completely honest when I say that a big part of this whole “health-kick/it’s time to start exercising” mentality happened when I spotted this running jacket… which I needed solely because it had thumb holes. I told Joe that if I got this jacket, I would definitely start working out because that’s the kind of exerciser I am. It’s been too hot to exercise in the jacket, but it looks awesome on, so that’s a victory, right?
2) I love yoga pants, and these from Target are super comfortable. They’re usually my weekend workout attire but I guess that’ll change once it gets cooler out…
3) I honestly couldn’t tell when I last purchased sneakers. The only pair I have in my closet are some grey Converse low-tops, which were purchased many years ago (maybe while I was still in college?). Joe and I decided that I needed to get legitimate sneakers so we headed to the mall, only to be completely horrified by how expensive everything was. We then headed over to DSW, where we were able to find a pair of shoes that better fit our price range.
Side note: I was completely amazed by how light they make sneakers now – which I guess only further demonstrates how long it’s been since my last sneaker purchase.
4) My favorite way to work out is either doing yoga or pilates. Sadly, there aren’t
a ton of any places near our apartment. I do have my own mat though, and enjoy taking it out to the nearby park to do some stretches. Having a mat sling would be an awesome investment for toting it around.
5 – 7) I’ve never really enjoyed wearing mens’ t-shirts when working out. Maybe it’s because they’re heavy, or maybe because I feel like I’m drowning, but I have never gotten a good work out wearing a baggy shirt. That’s why I’d like to grab a few tank tops to work out in. I think it’s fairly obvious that I like shirts that have built-in bras, are ridiculously bright (you know, to match my new shoes), or are flattering when I’ve eaten too much.
8) Even though I’m trying to will Fall to happen, it’s still pretty warm out (especially today). The smart thing would be to pick up a pair of work out shorts - that way I wouldn’t be able to get out of working out.
Did I forget any essentials? How do you all keep fit? Anyone else have to convince themselves to work out by buying cute clothes first?