When the cool weather hits, I start going crazy for things like apples and baby pumpkins. Case in point: this weekend, Joe and I enjoyed possibly the best apple pie ever and brought home a mini pumpkin from Trader Joe’s. Another side-effect of the weather is that I get excited about transitioning to my Fall clothing… and eyeing up some new additions (especially this year after cleaning out my closet!). While I enjoy buying bright colors in the Spring and Summer, my color choices in the Fall are definitely more earth-toned.
Below are a list of items that I’m definitely keeping an eye on…
1) For me, the easiest (and cheapest) way to get in a fall mood is by painting my nails. For my Fall favorites, I’m bringing back Stylenomics – which is a dark green that sometimes appears black – and introducing After School Boy Blazer. Both are dark colors which always work for Fall, but blue and green are a bit unexpected which keeps things fun.
2) I have never shied away from a good cardigan. While I have a ton of basic colors, I’m looking to brighten things up. I think J.Crew Factory’s Clare Cardigan in Autumn Coral is a great option. It’s definitely a bright color, but it’s still warm. Since it’s an orange/coral color, it’ll definitely work for October and Novermber.
3) Fall weather can be a little unpredictable at times. Having a nice pair of flats that can easily go hide in your purse is kind of amazing. My favorite option right now is Kate Spade Saturday’s Roll Up Flats.
4) Confession: I love waffle-knit shirts, especially in the Fall. Joe’s got one that I always
steal borrow so I think he would appreciate if I got my own Waffle-Knit Tee from Old Navy.
5) I’m on the hunt for the perfect black ankle boot – but let me tell you that it has not been easy! So far, I think the Legacy Boot from Steve Madden is the closest to what I have in mind. At the same time, I’m very unsure about getting suede boots.
6) This Phillip Lim Animal Print Skirt from Target is actually already in my possession and I really, really like it. On the day this line launched, I was in Target at 11AM (which is by no means early and explains why it was almost completely sold out). I managed to find this skirt in a 12, so I bought it – just in case it sold out online. Thankfully, it did not and I was able to order my correct size. Small victories.
7) Lace is always a winner in my book. This H&M Lace Top is delicate and reminiscent of Kate Middleton’s Wedding dress. I think black would be the best option, though I wouldn’t hate it in white.
8) My closet is filled with blazers and thin coats, but I have yet to invest in a good Autumn jacket that can actually keep me warm. It seems silly, but when part of your commute involves a boat ride, you really need to figure out ways to stay warm. This Topshop “Duke” Jacket from Nordstrom seems like a great option. Plus, olive next goes out of style.
9) The only regret I have from our trip to the UK was not getting a big cozy sweater (like this one). A good option is this Shawl Cable Knit Sweater from Brooks Brothers, plus there’s the bonus of this sweater being on sale.
10) Something I would like to invest in is a nice brown, wool skirt and this Pleated Mini Skirt from J.Crew Factory fits the bill. I could imagine styling it a million different ways (with boots or flats, with bright colors or bold patterns) and not getting bored with it. It seems like a good staple piece to me.
11) Dresses are the easiest option when it comes to getting dressed in the morning because it’s only one choice. You never need to worry about matching it with something else. This is why I’m always on the hunt for some nice dresses that are work appropriate. Right now, I love this Ponte Elbow Sleeve Dress with Pockets from Target. It’s got a classic look to it, but has pockets (which are always useful).
12) One of the reasons I don’t like blouses or work shirts is because I hate wearing shirts with collars. I honestly think I only have a few collared shirts in my closet, and they are rarely worn (though they are saved for when I need to look like a professional). A happy alternative for me is this H&M Chiffon Blouse - it’ll look nice tucked into a skirt or dress up a pair of jeans… all without me feeling uncomfortable.
What are your Fall must-haves? Have you been eyeing some new Fall attire? Anything caught your eye? Have you already splurged on a new piece?