I’m still in the midst of taking photos to give you an updated apartment tour, but until that’s ready, it’s the perfect time to give you a sneak peek into our bathroom. It seems to be the only room that we’ve been able to give some love to while we were watching the cats.
We started out with quite the blank slate: a basic vanity and some basket weave tiles. Since this is a rental, we have no plans to upgrade the vanity or tile – even though the look is not my style. Those towels also permanent since we got them as a wedding present and we love the color. The walls are a light blue, but since we can paint them, I’m not too concerned about it.
With a pretty basic foundation, it has given Joe and I a lot of flexibility with which direction we can go in. There are so many possibilities that I feel drunk with power. I guess going from a floor-to-ceiling marbled bathroom to a blank slate can do that to a girl.
Anyway, here is the current plan:
1) In terms of color, we’ll be using Martha Stewart Living Cornbread paint from Home Depot. It’s something we already have – and have had for almost three years! We used it on our tv stand but I’m ready to try it out on the walls. The good news is that it’s free, so if we don’t like it, it won’t be a big deal to go pick up a new color. In terms of accent colors, we’re going to use reds, greys, and greens from the shower curtain.
2) When we asked you which direction we should go in for the bathroom, a whopping 71% of you voted for the Åkerkulla Shower Curtain from IKEA. This was also our favorite (although if we had a house/more bathrooms, I would definitely choose the other two) so on a recent trip to IKEA, we picked this beauty up. It’s a very cheery curtain and I love it.
3) I spent a bit of time trying to decide on a piece of art for our bathroom and ultimately ended up choosing a photo we took on our honeymoon. The plan is to get a large print made – I’m hoping around 11″x14″ – and then maybe tossed in a red frame to keep things spicy.
4) For the past couple of years, Joe and I have been using a very tiny and flat bathmat from IKEA (this one if you’re curious). We chose it originally because it was budget friendly but stuck with it because our last apartment’s bathroom was so tiny. Now that we have the luxury of a bathroom with enough space that you can turn in, we decided that the Toftbo Bathmat from IKEA was the right fit for us. I can honestly say I love it.
5) One thing I wan to do is place a tray on the top of the toilet tank. My top pick right now is this Lacquer Bath Tray from West Elm, although we could end up with a bamboo tray or a wood that matches the vanity. Regardless, I’d like to add some fun accessories, like clear containers for the cotton swabs an q-tips (already owned) and this Casa Tissue House by CB2. I have been crushing on this for a few years and I feel like this is the perfect time to invest.
Now that you know our plan of attack, I can share with you where we’re at. When you first saw the bathroom, it was pretty basic. Heck, it didn’t even have a shower curtain up! Thankfully, that was an easy update which has already done wonders for the room:
The blue on the walls still hasn’t grown on us (womp womp) so we’ve got plans to paint. Since we haven’t had time to paint yet, I’ve used Photoshop to show you what it will look like. It’s about to get a whole lot cheerier in there thanks to Martha Stewart.
What do you think? Are you digging the direction we’re going in or do you hope we’ll make a U-Turn and reconsider?