The weeks before Joe and I moved, we made an effort to do as little grocery shopping as possible. Instead of buying more, we tried to use what we had and clean out the pantry. It was a win-win for us because not only were we spending less but we also had less to move.
Granted, this plan was not always possible (sometimes you have to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things) but we did our best and used up a lot of the staples in our refrigerator and pantry. A large part of this approach meant eating a lot of cereal and veggie burgers (not together), but we were able to come up with some delicious meals.
In our freezer, next to a box of veggie burgers, was a half a bag of shrimp and a big bag of frozen broccoli. Clearly, Chinese food came to mind but we didn’t have rice… and we only had a little bit of soy sauce. This was the time to get creative.
Shrimp & Broccoli over Quinoa
- 1/2 bag of shrimp
- 1/2 bag of broccoli
- 1 ½ cup quinoa, 3 cups water
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
1) Begin by preparing the quinoa (go by what the package says).
2) As the quinoa cooks, begin to defrost the shrimp. Once it has defrosted, do any necessary cleaning (we make sure they’re clean and remove the tails).
3) While the shrimp is defrosting, put the broccoli in a covered microwave safe bowl with a little bit of water for three minutes.
4) Combine the soy sauce (to taste), rice wine vinegar (to taste), diced garlic, and teaspoon of sugar. Mix well and put off to the side.
5) When you’re finished cleaning the shrimp, drizzle a little olive oil in a non-stick pan. Once the oil has heated, add the shrimp. When the shrimp is almost done, add in the broccoli and pour the soy sauce mixture into the pan. Stir everything up until the shrimp and broccoli is coated.
6) When you’re ready to serve, scoop a serving of the quinoa into a plate and add the broccoli and shrimp mixture. Be sure to get some of the extra sauce in the pan!
Psst – you can check out more recipes here!